Support to democratic governance in the Imereti region of Georgia
The project aims to improve public management in the Imereti region of Georgia through enhancing its regional, district and local administrations.
To achieve this objective, the project works to align the executive and legislative branches of power at the regional, district and local levels, as well as ensure transparency of decision-making and better public accountability.
As part of its strategy, the project aims to introduce modern information management practices and technologies to the local administration offices, and provide specialized training for the officials. New information systems are used as a tool to improve overall governance policies and practices in the region through vertically integrated management systems.
The project can serve as a pilot initiative in the area of decentralization and regional development for the Georgian Government and donor organizations.
Throughout its cycle, the project went through the following stages:
- Development of the Kutaisi Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) – Regional Administration’s Management Information System (INMIS) launched at the Governor’s Office, Regional Administration, Kutaisi Mayor’s Office, Kutaisi Municipality and Council, and nineteen state agencies.
- Development of the Imereti Wide Area Network (WAN) – Regional Administration’s Management Information System connected to the local governments and councils in the eleven districts of the Imereti region.
- Interconnection of the Kutaisi and Tbilisi MANs – Regional Administration Management Information System connected to the Government of Georgia in Tbilisi.
- Regional Administration Management Information System connected to the eleven pilot local communities and councils in the eleven districts of the Imereti region.
- Enhancement and democratization of the regional and local governments.
- Decentralization of public administration processes.
- Development of the Management Information System.
- Human resources development.
- Promotion of transparency, accountability and anti-corruption activities in the public sector of the region.
- Mainstreaming of ICTs in the regional and local development.